The United States Embassy in Accra has warned Ghanaians intending to travel to the United States for the 2026 FIFA World Cup to abide by U.S. immigration laws, particularly regarding visa overstays.
Chargé d’Affaires Rolf Olson, speaking to journalists in Accra on Friday, February 20, said the Embassy has made tens of thousands of additional visa appointment slots available for B1/B2 visitor visa applicants, including those planning to attend the tournament.
“As of today, February 20, we have added tens of thousands of people to the World Cup, and indeed, we have lots of appointments available now,” he said.
Mr Olson acknowledged that applicants had previously faced long waiting periods, but said an increase in consular staff had significantly improved appointment availability. He encouraged applicants to book early or move to earlier dates where possible, and noted that the expanded slots were open to all B1/B2 applicants, not just World Cup travellers.
However, Mr Olson made clear that a visa alone does not guarantee entry into the country.
“The visa allows you to get on a plane,” he said. “When you get to the border, it’s the Customs and Border Protection officer who officially grants you entry and determines how long you may stay.”
He stressed that all visitors must leave the United States before their permitted stay expires, warning that overstays would not be condoned.
“Every country has its immigration practices, and it is incumbent upon every visitor to respect the laws of the country they are in,” he stated.
The Embassy further clarified that no special or expedited visa process would be introduced for World Cup applicants, saying existing procedures were adequate to meet demand. Travellers were also advised to carry their passports at all times while in the United States and to observe all relevant laws and regulations.