Spread the news

The Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD) of the Central East Regional Police Command has arrested 50 drivers for using unauthorised lighting systems on their vehicles along the Kasoa-Winneba Highway.

The enforcement exercise targeted motorists using LED fog lights, strobe lights and sirens without the required statutory approval. Police said the practice violates the Road Traffic Regulations, 2012 (L.I. 2180), which prohibits the use of unapproved vehicle lights.

The arrests followed several months of public education and warnings, which police said had failed to stop the practice. So far, 37 of the 50 drivers arrested have been prosecuted at the Akweley Magistrate Court in Kasoa.

Of those who appeared in court, 17 were fined and nine cautioned last Friday, while 16 others were fined on Monday. Some cases remain pending due to non-appearance or ongoing proceedings.

Police have warned motorists to remove unauthorised lighting systems from their vehicles, stressing that the enforcement exercise will continue until compliance is achieved.